Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) - Tank-Bred!
$ 13.49 $ 16.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The aptly-named Diamond Tetra is a peaceful fish that matures to have shimmering, reflective scales and pastel hues, and males develop elegant fin extensions!
The Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) is a peaceful, shining fish for the community aquarium. At maturitys, its distinctive coloration consists of shimmering, reflective scales and pastel hues. Adult males also display very noticeable fin extensions. Females are generally more heavy-bodied. The Diamond Tetra is very peaceful and it inhabits shallow, densely-vegetated waters in and around Lake Valencia in its native Venezuela.
The Diamond Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe to keep with other peaceful, small fish as well as peaceful dwarf and Geophagus cichlids. Though it has a relatively robust, larger body than many smaller tetras, it has a very small mouth. Adult dwarf shrimp are possibly safe tankmates as well, but adult Diamond Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Since they are tank-bred, Diamond Tetras are fairly adaptable, but their natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It does not like overly bright lighting and it requires plenty of decor in the aquarium.
While not a picky eater, the Diamond Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
- Elegant coloration and finnage, especially in males
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and adaptable
- Thrives in a heavily planted aquarium
- Temperature: 75° - 82.4° F (24° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15-20 gallons for a group of 6-8 adults
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry, frozen, and live foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Venezuela
- Average adult size: 2.4 inches (6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)