Dawn AKA Panda Tetra (Aphyocharax nattereri), Tank-Bred
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This active tetra is a superb addition to the planted aquarium, and it is an excellent choice for almost any Neotropical setup!
The Dawn Tetra (Aphyocharax nattereri) is a bold, active fish for the community and planted aquarium. This outgoing species is generally peaceful and is a wonderful addition to Amazon/South American-themed setups. It will add a great deal of motion to the tank and is very undemanding regarding care
The Dawn Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe to keep with most other peaceful, small fish as well as peaceful dwarf and Geophagus cichlids. It may sometimes nip at the fins of slow-moving, long-finned fish, but it is otherwise regarded as very peaceful. Adult dwarf shrimp are possibly safe tankmates as well, but adult Dawn Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Since it is tank-bred, the Dawn Tetra is fairly adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It does not like overly bright lighting and it requires plenty of decor in the aquarium.
While not a picky eater, the Dawn Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
- Simple, yet elegant coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and adaptable
- Thrives in a heavily planted aquarium
- Temperature: 71.6° - 80.6° F (22° - 27° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 1 - 18 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15-20 gallons for a group of 8-12 adults
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry, frozen, and live foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Brazil, Paraguay, and Bolivia
- Average adult size: 1.2 - 1.4 inches (3 - 3.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.25 - 2.5 cm)