Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia might be tough to pronounce, but this lovely plant is very easy to keep and is great for beginners and experts alike!
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia is a medium-sized Crypt species that is an excellent plant for many types of planted aquariums, including low-tech setups. This species is one of the most commonly kept aquarium plants due to its hardiness, adaptability to a wide range of water parameters, and attractive appearance. Like many medium-sized Crypts, this species looks best when planted in groups.
Under good care, Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia is fairly fast-growing for a Cryptocoryne species. It should be placed in an area of the aquarium where it can be allowed to establish over time. It is native to Borneo, Indonesia and should be kept in tropical temperatures, but it can thrive in subtropical conditions as well. Like most Cryptocoryne species, it should be allowed plenty of time to “settle in” and should not be moved constantly. Once established, it will reproduce by sending runners that will grow into new plants. These runners can be cut and replanted for propagation.
CO2 supplementation is beneficial, but not necessary for this plant. It will also benefit from supplemental fertilizers and nutrient-rich substrate
What We Like About This Plant:
- Large, broad leaves
- Very versatile when kept in stable conditions
- Great for aquarists of all skill levels, including beginners
- Can thrive in low-tech setups
- Excellent refuge for small fish, invertebrates, and fry
- Temperature: 64 – 83° F (18 - 28° C), although the middle of this range is more ideal
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0, although the middle of this range is more ideal
- Lighting: Low to Moderate
- Origin: Cultivated in nurseries, but indigenous to Sumatra, Indonesia
- Aquarium Placement: Middle to Background
- Care: Low to Moderate
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!