Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This uncommon gourami is a small, colorful species that thrives in the planted aquarium!
The Croaking Dwarf Gourami (Trichopsis vittata) is a colorful, very small labyrinth fish. It inhabits many slow-moving waterways in Southeast Asia. Like all labyrinth fish, it possesses an air-breathing organ that supplements its gills and allows it to live in aquatic areas that are poor in oxygen. Its iridescent green, blue, and red coloration make it a striking addition to the nano and planted aquarium.
The Croaking Gourami requires an aquarium with dense vegetation and plenty of cover. A darker substrate will result in the most vivid coloration for this fish. Slow to moderate water movement is preferred, so turbulent conditions should be avoided. This fish is typically timid and peaceful with other fish, but males can be territorial with their own species. This is much less of an issue in larger aquariums. While it is possible to keep this fish with most peaceful invertebrates, it is also possible that it will go after dwarf shrimp, so vigilance and caution are necessary.
A balanced diet for the Croaking Gourami should consist of a live, frozen, and dry meaty foods. It will typically require live and frozen foods initially, but will usually accept dry foods in time.
- Bright, multi-colored iridescent coloration
- Peaceful disposition
- An excellent, graceful addition to nano and planted aquariums
- Accepts a variety of dry and frozen foods
- Small size
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.0 - 7.0
- KH: 1 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10-15 gallons for a small group
- Diet: Micropredator. Requires a varied diet of live, frozen, and freeze-dried foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and timid. Can be kept in groups, but males can be territorial with one another.
- Origin: Southeast Asia.
- Average adult size: 2.4 - 2.8 inches (6 - 7 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5+ cm)