Clown Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare "Clown"), TANK-BRED!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Clown Angelfish displays complex and mesmerizing patterns of coloration and is certainly a distinctive and striking variety!
The Clown Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare "Clown") is an uncommon variant of the classic angelfish. It is distinctive by the complex and variable pattern that it displays across its entire body. This shoaling cichlid is relatively peaceful compared to other members of the cichlid family. It also has a very thin, tall body unlike most other cichlids.
The Clown Angelfish will thrive in a heavily planted aquarium with driftwood and/or rock formations and gentle water flow. It is not overly reclusive, but this fish strongly prefers the cover of plants and, due to its body shape, is not likely to seek refuge in rock caves and similar structures. The Clown Angelfish is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Clown Angelfish, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is very spacious.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Clown Angelfish. High-quality dry, frozen, and live foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering juvenile specimens of this magnificent angelfish variety!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very elegant appearance and behavior
- Extra tall body shape
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Excellent centerpiece fish for the heavily planted aquarium
- Thrives in the planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 76° - 86° F (24° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.4
- KH: 0 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group. The tall body shape of this fish must be considered regarding the height of its tank.
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Shoaling. Generally peaceful, but can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Northern South America
- Average adult size: 6 inches (15 cm) long, 8+ inches (20+ cm) tall
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)