The Chopstick Snail (Stenomelania torulosa) is an excellent scavenger and substrate sifter with a unique, spike-shaped appearance. Though it is native to the warm Sulawesi lake system and other waterways of Indonesia, this snail can thrive in lower water temperatures than many other Sulawesi animals. The Chopstick snail spends most of its time climbing aquarium terrain and burrowing in the substrate.
Feeding and care is very easy for the hardy Chopstick Snail. It requires the same maintenance and conditions as most tropical aquarium snails and should never be exposed to copper. It will eat nearly any high-quality dry and frozen foods, but it will also feed heavily on algae, biofilm, and decaying plant matter in the aquarium.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Completely peaceful
- Unique spike-shaped appearance
- Safe with all plants and excellent for sifting substrate
- Excellent scavenger and algae eater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 86° F (22° - 30° C)
- pH: 7.0 – 8.2
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 5 gallons per snail
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be sparingly fed daily.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Sulawesi Lakes and other waterways of Indonesia
- Average adult size: 1 - 2.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inches (1.3 - 6.4 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!