Chili Rasbora AKA Mosquito Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
This tiny fish is extremely peaceful and is ideal for the nano aquarium. It is even safe to keep with dwarf shrimp!
The Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae), also known as the Mosquito Rasbora, is a strikingly beautiful nano fish that is very popular among aquarists due to its schooling behavior, peaceful disposition, and very small size. This schooling fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium. With optimal diet and care, many males of this species display bright ruby red coloration.
The Chili Rasbora typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Due to its extra small size and peaceful demeanor, it can be safely kept with dwarf shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Chili Rasbora must be kept in schools of 6 or more, although much larger schools of 20+ are more ideal. The schooling behavior of a large group of this fish is fascinating. Its natural habitat typically has slow water flow and contains acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present. It should not be kept with overly boisterous tankmates that will outcompete it during feeding.
While not a picky eater, the Chili Rasbora will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Interesting schooling behavior, especially in very large schools
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates including dwarf shrimp
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68 - 82.4° F (20°-28° C)
- pH: 4.0-7.0, acidic water is preferred
- KH: 3-12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Indonesia
- Average Adult Size: .6-.8 inches (1.5-2 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .25-.5 inch (.6-1.3 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!