Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp (Caridina dennerli) - Tank-Raised!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship this shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This extra small, long-lived dwarf shrimp has incredible coloration and is relatively easy in care!
The Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp is an exceptional dwarf shrimp species that is fairly new to the aquarium hobby. Native to the very unique Sulawesi lake system in Indonesia, it was discovered only a few years ago and is now being bred in small numbers by expert shrimp farmers and breeders. It has become increasingly popular to aquarists in a very short period of time due to its incredible coloration, which is an overall bright red or scarlet with numerous small, white spots, as well as white antennae and front appendages.
While it is a completely peaceful and very small dwarf shrimp, the Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp requires a few different water conditions than most other dwarf shrimp and should only be kept by the experienced, dedicated aquarist. The aquarium should mimic Sulawesi conditions, especially a high temperature of 78° - 88° F and a pH of 7.8 - 8.2, although some breeders have reported success with a pH as low as 7.0. We keep our specimens at a pH of 7.8 - 8.2. Water flow must be very calm and water changes should be kept to a minimum other than the replacement of evaporated water. Both adults and fry require full freshwater.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. The Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp particularly likes to pick biofilm from rockwork and, if present, the shells of Sulawesi snails. This shrimp requires very little or no supplemental feeding in a well-established aquarium.
The Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp is more challenging to keep than many other dwarf shrimp, but will thrive and breed readily when kept in optimal conditions.
- Very rare, beautifully colored, new species for the experienced hobbyist
- Peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons (the more stable the water can be the better)
- Temperature: 78° - 88° F (26° - 31° C)
- pH: 7.8 - 8.2
- dGH: 6 - 8
- dKH: 4 - 8
- TDS: 50 - 150
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily.
- Aquatic Arts Snowflake Premium Shrimp Food & Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules Premium Shrimp Food are excellent supplements to the diet of any shrimp. Give them a try and your shrimp will thank you for the tasty treat!
- Natural Botanicals are a great way to boost the immune system of your shrimp and they will also provide lots of essential biofilm for the shrimp to graze on.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Lake Matano, Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)