Bumblebee Goby (Brachygobius xanthozona)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Bumblebee Goby (Brachygobius xanthozona) is a very colorful, interesting oddball fish that is sometimes available in the aquarium hobby. It originates from Indonesia and inhabits estuaries in many of the countries in that area. It inhabits both fresh and brackish water, though it spawns in freshwater. There are several species that are all classified by the same common name, but this species is the only one that will consistently thrive in freshwater. We have quarantined and kept our first specimens in freshwater for several months to ensure their long-term health in fully fresh water, and they have thrived exceptionally.
The Bumblebee Goby is very small, but it certainly has a personality that can sometimes be very consistent with its “grumpy” facial appearance. It will swim around all levels of the entire aquarium, but it often will claim and guard a small territory, especially from its own kind. This fish is very small, but it needs adequate space to be compatible with a large variety of tankmates, and even more space when keeping several of the same species. It will often nip at long-finned fish, so slow-moving fish such as Bettas should not be kept with them. Small shrimp are possible prey, but larger shrimp can be compatible with enough space.
Feeding the Bumblebee Goby can be a bit more challenging than with many other fish. It will typically not accept standard dry foods, but it will readily eat most meaty frozen and live foods. This fish is an ambush predator that moves slowly, so it is important to make sure that it gets its share of food when housed with more agile tankmates. It will not bother plants.
Though it sometimes presents some minor challenges, the Bumblebee Goby can be a very special, fun species for the aquarist who is looking for something unique and different.
- Generally peaceful and hardy addition to many nano aquariums
- Compatible with many invertebrates
- Beautiful black and gold striping
- Active with lots of personality
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 28.9° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 8.5
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Carnivorous. Frozen or live foods such as bloodworms, Daphnia, and Tubifex. Will not typically accept dry foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, sometimes territorial, especially with its own kind. May nip at long-finned or long-barbeled fish.
- Origin: Southeast Asia, Indonesia.
- Average adult size: 1.2 - 1.5 inches (3 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 inch (1.3 cm)