Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri var. "Brilliant") - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This Rummy Nose Tetra variety has shimmering silver scales and incredible coloration!
The Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri var. "Brilliant"), also known as the Firehead Tetra, is a very popular schooling community fish. Its red-orange nose and horizontally striped black and white tail make it a very distinctive aquarium fish. There are a few varieties and species of the Rummy Nose Tetra, and the Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra is very distinctive due to its incredible, shimmering silver body scales.
The Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but adult Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetras must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since they are tank-raised, Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetras are fairly adaptable, but their natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter.
While not a picky eater, the Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
- Unique red-orange facial coloration and black and white striped tail
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable schooling fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 69.8° - 80.6° F (20° - 27° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0 (more acidic water is preferable)
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)