Blue Zebra Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare var. "Blue Zebra ") - TANK-BRED!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This highly coveted angelfish variety develops a striking bright blue/turquoise sheen as it matures!
The Blue Zebra Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare var. "Blue Pinoy Zebra"), is an incredible variant that naturally displays blue coloration over the classic "zebra" striping that is characteristic of the wild coloration. Juveniles often do not display much of the blue/turquoise coloration, but will develop it generously as they grow and approach maturity. This shoaling cichlid is relatively peaceful compared to other members of the cichlid family. It also has a very thin, tall body unlike most other cichlids. The Blue Zebra Angelfish is indigenous to several river systems in Northern South America, but virtually all specimens in the aquarium hobby have been tank-raised for generations.
The Blue Zebra Angelfish will thrive in a heavily planted aquarium with driftwood and/or rock formations and gentle water flow. It is not overly reclusive, but this fish strongly prefers the cover of plants and, due to its body shape, is not likely to seek refuge in rock caves and similar structures. The Blue Zebra Angelfish is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Blue Zebra Angelfish, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is very spacious.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Blue Zebra Angelfish. High-quality dry, frozen, and live foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering juvenile specimens of this magnificent angelfish variety!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very elegant appearance and behavior
- Incredible blue/turquoise coloration in adults
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Excellent centerpiece fish for the heavily planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 76° - 86° F (24° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.4
- KH: 0 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group. The tall body shape of this fish must be considered regarding the height of its tank.
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Shoaling. Generally peaceful, but can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Northern South America
- Average adult size: 6 inches (15 cm) long, 8 inches (20 cm) tall
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)