Cochu’s Blue Tetra AKA Blue King Tetra (Boehlkea fredcochui), TANK-RAISED SCHOOL!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
Cochu’s Blue Tetra (Boehlkea fredcochui), also known as the Blue King Tetra, is an excellent choice for many medium to large community aquariums, especially planted aquariums. It is one of the few freshwater aquarium fish that has bright blue coloration. In the case of Cochu’s Blue Tetra, most blue coloration is on the back half of an otherwise nearly transparent body. There is also often pink coloration at the base of the tail. Males are usually more vividly marked than females.
Cochu’s Blue Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with most other peaceful fish provided that there is plenty of space in the aquarium. This tetra is extremely active, especially at feeding time, so it can be intimidating to slower-moving fish and it may nip at long-finned fish. This harassing behavior is much less likely in a larger aquarium. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. This fish could possibly be kept with adult dwarf shrimp, but we do not recommend it in most aquariums due to the extremely active nature of this tetra. Cochu’s Blue Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-raised, this fish is very adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. Its colors will be brightest with dark substrate.
While not a picky eater, Cochu’s Blue Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Bright, neon blue coloration
- Peaceful disposition with most other fish
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22.2° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.6
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 25 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average Adult Size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support directly from the owners!