Blue Diamond AKA Diamond Head Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi var. "Blue Diamond") - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Blue Diamond Neon Tetra is the bluest variety of this classic species, and we are offering superior specimens at a far lower price than competitors!
The Blue Diamond Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi var. "Blue Diamond") is an excellent choice for the community aquarium, especially planted aquariums. This variant of the classic Neon Tetra is fairly new to the hobby and is not commonly available. It is distinctive for its higher level of blue coloration and the "diamond" marking between its forehead and dorsal fin. This is a very peaceful fish that is suitable for beginners and experts alike!
The Blue Diamond Neon Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but the Blue Diamond Neon Tetra may prey on dwarf shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Blue Diamond Neon Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-raised, this fish is very adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter.
While not a picky eater, the Blue Diamond Neon Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
- Beautiful red and exceptional blue coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 68° - 82° F (20° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
Average purchase size: 1/4 - 1 inch (0.6 - 2.5 cm)