* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This colorful, subtropical bitterling is known to tolerate cold temperatures and can be a great fish for controlling pond algae and mosquitoes, or it can be a superb fish for the planted aquarium!
We are sorry, but we cannot ship this species to Michigan or Wisconsin.
The Blue Amur Taiwanese Bitterling (Paracheilognathus himantegus), also known as the Tanakia Bitterling, is a very interesting, yet fairly uncommon, subtropical cyprinid species that is native to China and Taiwan. It schools and behaves similarly to many peaceful barb species and is a wonderful species for the subtropical planted aquarium, or even for outdoor ponds in some areas of the US, where it is beneficial as an algae and mosquito larvae eater and parasite-eating companion to koi. Both sexes of this fish will often develop bright red coloration on the fins, but males generally have the most intense coloration.
Care is simple for the Blue Amur Taiwanese Bitterling. It is tolerant of a wide range of water parameters, but it prefers fairly neutral pH and will thrive in an aquarium with ample filtration and moderate to high water flow. This active fish is known to jump occasionally, so a secure aquarium lid is recommended. It will readily eat most high-quality dry foods, but it should also be offered live, frozen, or freeze-dried foods.
As stated above, the Blue Amur Taiwanese Bitterling is a peaceful fish, but it may prey on dwarf shrimp and other very small invertebrates. It does not seem to bother most snails, and we have found it to be generally peaceful with most larger shrimp (such as Amano, Flower, Green Lace, and Vampire Shrimp) as long as they are too large to be considered easy prey. The Blue Amur Taiwanese Bitterling is a schooling fish that should be kept in a group of at least 6 to 8 fish.
If these requirements are met, the Blue Amur Taiwanese Bitterling will add a great deal of activity and attractive appearance to the aquarium or pond!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Red fin coloration in mature specimens
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful larger invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and undemanding
- Excellent algae eater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 59° - 82° F (15° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 4 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Typically accepts dry foods, but also requires a variety of live and frozen foods with plenty of vegetable matter
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling
- Origin: China, Taiwan
- Average adult size: 2.5 - 3.5 inches (6 - 8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm) or larger
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!