Black Ruby Barb (Pethia nigrofasciata), Tank-Bred!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This peaceful barb is perfect for the community planted aquarium and males develop intense, deep ruby coloration!
The Black Ruby Barb (Pethia nigrofasciata) is a very peaceful species that is an excellent fish for the community planted aquarium. It is known for its small size and black striping, but is most desired for the brilliant ruby coloration that males develop during spawning behavior. This fish is also rather versatile regarding water conditions.
The Black Ruby Barb typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. It may prey on smaller dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can make good tankmates. The Black Ruby Barb must be kept in groups of 6 or more, although larger groups are more ideal so that subdominant specimens are not bullied by dominant individuals during breeding behavior. Its natural habitat is tropical rainforest areas that typically have clear water. It requires clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate.
While not a picky eater, the Black Ruby Barb will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted. Some vegetable matter, especially dry food high in vegetable content, is essential for optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Males develop beautiful pink coloration with maturity
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates too large to be considered prey
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68 - 81° F (20°-27° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5
- KH: 3 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons for a group of 6 - 8
- Diet: Omnivore/Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet, including vegetable matter, for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but native to Sri Lanka
- Average Adult Size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!