Black Racer Nerite Snails' shells are a gleaming ebony that add a sophisticated beauty to your aquarium while also serving some very useful purposes. Like all Nerite snails, these snails clean algae off of glass, plants, and decorations, they eat hair algae, and they keep your substrate clean and the correct color.
Nerite Snails are widely believed to be the single best snail in the aquarium hobby for eating algae. They are totally safe with any fish, shrimp, or plants, and are completely peaceful. Nerite Snails require salt water to reproduce, so they will never overpopulate your aquarium (as some freshwater snails are known to do).
Black Racer Nerite Snails are the largest Nerite Snail we offer, even beating out Tiger Nerites and Zebra Nerites. When you receive the snails, they will likely be about an 1/2 inch to 1 inch in diameter, but they can grow to a maximum of 1 1/2 inches. They are also unique among Nerite Snails in their behavior; they are significantly faster-moving and more active than all other types of Nerite Snails.
When keeping any type of Nerite Snails, it's a good idea to make sure the water line in your aquarium isn't too high, as these snails tend to climb up beyond the water line. Additionally, Nerite Snails do not tolerate water with high nitrate levels. All freshwater snails are very sensitive to copper, so watch out for copper if you use tap water in your tank.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Among the most voracious algae-eating snails
- Do not reproduce in freshwater
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 65° - 85° F (18° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons per snail
- Diet: Nerite Snails can subsist on algae if there is enough present in the aquarium. Their diet can be supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Indo-Pacific, India, Africa
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!