Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi), TANK-RAISED SCHOOL!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) is excellent choice for the community aquarium, especially planted aquariums. Its overall bold, black coloration is very attractively highlighted with a bright, horizontal cream/white stripe across its body as well as bright orange coloration at the top of its eye. This is a very durable, peaceful fish that is suitable for beginners and experts alike.
The Black Neon Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but adult the Black Neon Tetra may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Black Neon Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-raised, this fish is very adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter.
While not a picky eater, the Black Neon Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful black and bright cream/white coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 82° F (20° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0, more acidic water is preferred
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average Adult Size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support directly from the owners!