Black Lancer Catfish (Bagrichthys macracanthus)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Black Lancer Catfish is an ideal "medium" catfish that does not grow to an unmanageable size, plus it is compatible with many other peaceful and aggressive fish!
The Black Lancer Catfish (Bagrichthys macracanthus) is a medium catfish species that is native to Indonesia. It is known for its overall jet black coloration with a thin, white horizontal stripe down its side. At a typical adult size of up to 8-9 inches (20-23 cm), it is not small by aquarium standards, but it maintains a manageable size for the large aquarium and it is an excellent tankmate for most other fish that are too large to be considered prey.
The Black Lancer Catfish is generally peaceful, although it can be territorial with other bottom dwellers. Dominant males will often bully other males or single females. It definitely requires ample hiding places in the form of driftwood, pipes, or other crevices. This fish is not territorial or aggressive with most other fish, but, it will prey on anything small enough to fit in its mouth, so it should not be kept with very small fish and invertebrates. It will not bother plants. It is not particularly sensitive, but like many scaleless fish, it will deteriorate from poor water quality and maintenance.
Feeding is very simple for the Black Lancer Catfish. In the wild, it mainly feeds on small invertebrates and fish. In the aquarium, it will accept most live, frozen, and dry meaty foods. It is a voracious eater, so care should be taken not to overfeed. Inserting food near the fish's hiding place is very effective, although it will typically learn to come out of hiding with enthusiasm when food is available.
- Great tankmate for medium and large fish
- Completely peaceful with anything too large to be considered prey
- Excellent scavenger
- Will not bother plants
- Somewhat uncommon
- Temperature: 75° - 82.4° F (24° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0
- KH: 1 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons
- Diet: Carnivorous. Will accept most dry, frozen, and live meaty foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, but can be territorial with other bottom dwellers
Average adult size: 8 - 9 inches (20 - 23 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.5 cm)