PLEASE NOTE: The photos on this listing are representative of this variety, not photos of the exact fish that you will receive. Though they are part of a common color variety, each specimen is one-of-a-kind in coloration.
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Koi Plakat Betta is a very beloved and superb betta variety!
The Koi Plakat Betta (Betta splendens "Koi Plakat) is a very high-grade coloration fish of the ever-popular plakat body and fin variety. Specimens of this fish boast a variable mix of most colors and often display 5 or more colors on one fish! While each individual betta is unique and one-of-a-kind, every specimen of this variety is extremely colorful and high quality!
Betta species live in slow or stagnant bodies of water, sometimes with very limited open swimming space (such as in rice paddies). In addition to gills, they possess a labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe atmospheric air in oxygen-poor water Bettas are not particularly fast or active swimmers compared to some other species, but they should not be kept in small jars or bowls, contrary to the beliefs of some. Low water flow is appropriate, but filtration, heating, and the standard practices of keeping any aquarium fish are necessary for long-term care. Aquatic Arts does not endorse the long-term keeping of bettas in confined conditions or aquariums without filtration or heating.
Betta care is very simple, even for beginners. As stated above, low water flow is necessary for this somewhat retiring species. Some cover at the top of the water column is also appreciated. Otherwise, this betta species is very undemanding. It will thrive in a planted aquarium with no boisterous or fin-nipping tankmates. While it may be compatible with some bottom-dwelling species and some other peaceful fish, males of this species can sometimes be very aggressive toward other fish in the middle and top of the water column. It is generally peaceful with invertebrates too large to be considered prey. Also, as is common knowledge, males of this species cannot be kept together under any circumstances and females cannot be kept with males except temporarily during well-planned and supervised breeding. Females can be kept with other females as long as there is plenty of space and cover.
This betta species is not a picky eater and will eat a variety of meaty frozen, dry, and live foods. Variety is essential to maintaining optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful coloration on every fish
- Centerpiece fish in any aquarium
- Does not require a large aquarium
- Easy to keep
- Charming personality
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72°- 82° F (22.2° - 27.8° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Carnivorous. Can be fed a variety of foods, including flake foods, tablets, frozen food, brine shrimp, blood worms, and daphnia.
- Social behavior: Peaceful with most animals that inhabit other areas of the water column and are too large to be considered prey.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Thailand
- Average adult size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!