Asian Bumblebee Catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Asian Bumblebee Catfish is a beautifully marked, small to medium catfish that is compatible with many other tankmates of similar size!
The Asian Bumblebee Catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis) is a small to medium catfish species that is native to Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. It is known for its brown and burnt orange striped coloration. At a typical adult size of 6 inches (15 cm), it is a perfect bottom dweller for the medium to large aquarium and it is an excellent tankmate for most other fish that are too large to be considered prey.
The Asian Bumblebee Catfish is generally peaceful, although it can be territorial with other bottom dwellers. Dominant males will often bully other males or single females in a small tank with limited territory. It definitely requires ample hiding places in the form of driftwood, pipes, or other crevices, and it will appreciate the shade provided by plants. This fish is not territorial or aggressive with most other fish, but, it will prey on anything small enough to fit in its mouth, so it should not be kept with very small fish and invertebrates. It will not bother plants. It is not particularly sensitive, but like many scaleless fish, it will deteriorate from poor water quality and maintenance.
Feeding is very simple for the Asian Bumblebee Catfish. In the wild, it mainly feeds on small invertebrates and fish. In the aquarium, it will accept most live, frozen, and dry meaty foods. It is a voracious eater, so care should be taken not to overfeed. Inserting food near the fish's hiding place is very effective, although it will typically learn to come out of hiding with enthusiasm when food is available.
- Great tankmate for medium and large fish
- Completely peaceful with anything to large to be considered prey
- Excellent scavenger
- Will not bother plants
- Somewhat uncommon
- Temperature: 68° - 78° F (20° - 26° C)
- pH: 5.8 - 7.8, although the lower part of this range is preferred
- KH: 4 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 55 gallons for a single specimen, 90+ gallons for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. Will accept most dry, frozen, and live meaty foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, but can be territorial with other bottom dwellers
Average adult size: 6 inches (15 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)