American Frogbit AKA Spongeplant (Limnobium spongia)
This larger floating plant is commonly used in ponds, but it is also very useful for providing shaded areas in the aquarium!
American Frogbit (Limnobium spongia) is a North American floating plant that is commonly used in ponds, but it is also very useful in the aquarium. It is much larger than many other floating aquarium plants, so it is an excellent option for providing shade and cover for more reclusive species. Its leaves are very lily-like and will float at the water's surface, which can also be very useful for small semi-aquatic animals in terrariums and paludariums.
Care is extremely easy for American Frogbit. Since it is a floating plant, it does not require planting in the substrate. It can withstand an incredible temperature range, though it will thrive and grow faster if extremely cold temperatures are avoided.
Like most plants, American Frogbit will benefit from supplementation such as Seachem Flourish, Flourish Excel, nitrogen, iron, and other plant supplements.
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot ship this plant to California or Connecticut.
What We Like About This Plant:
- Large floating plant that is ideal for providing shade and refuge
- Very easy to propagate
- Provides a great deal of cover for animal fry
- Very hardy and durable
- Temperature: 64° - 86° F (18° - 30° C), although it can withstand much lower temperatures temporarily.
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0
- Lighting: Moderate to High
- Origin: Indigenous to North America, cultivated in US nurseries
- Aquarium placement: Floating
- Care: Easy
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!