Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Albino") - Tank-Bred!
This classic species is an excellent scavenger for most medium-sized and larger aquariums, and the albino version is particularly attractive in appearance.
A generally peaceful and hardy species, the Albino Bristlenose Pleco is an excellent, undemanding candidate for most aquariums. Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Albino Bristlenose Pleco grows to a size of only 4 to 5 inches (10 to 13 cm). This smaller size makes for a much more manageable (and less messy) pleco that can thrive permanently in a well-maintained aquarium as small as 30 to 40 gallons. Male plecos may be somewhat territorial with other males of their species, but disputes can usually be diffused by providing ample territory and hiding places for each fish. All other tankmates will be generally ignored, although it is possible that small shrimp fry might fall prey to the Albino Bristlenose Pleco. However, some large-scale shrimp suppliers breed Bristlenose Plecos in the same pools they use for shrimp breeding.
- Very peaceful and hardy
- At a maximum size of 4 to 5 inches, this is a very practical and manageable fish
- Will not bother most plants, but will likely help with algae control, especially as a juvenile. It will also scavenge and consume most uneaten fish food.
- Unique appearance, as well as plenty of personality.
- Temperature: 72° - 86° F (22° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous, but meatier foods should only be fed sparingly
- Social behavior: Generally solitary, but will socialize somewhat, especially during breeding.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 4 - 5 inches (10 - 13 cm)
- Average purchase size: Juveniles: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm), Adults: 3.1 - 4.7 inches (8 - 12 cm)