Tefe Agassizi's Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cf. agassizii "Tefe") - TANK-BRED!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
Males of this Agassizi variety boast bright blue pearl and yellow coloration!
The Tefe Agassizi's Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cf. agassizii) is a very beautiful and uncommon variant of the superspecies. Adult males have a great deal of blue pearl and yellow or coloration! As with most dwarf cichlids, adult females are less colorful by comparison, but still have a good amount of coloration (partiularly yellow and black with some red/orange highlights) and have an attractive appearance with plenty of personality.
The Tefe Agassizi's Dwarf Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of room. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Tefe Agassizi's Dwarf Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Tefe Agassizi's Dwarf Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering sexed, sub-adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are displaying very good coloration, but their color will be even more vibrant as they mature further!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful coloration for a rare variant
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 29° C)
- pH: 5.0- 7.0 for tank-raised specimens
- KH: 2 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Rio Tefe South America
- Average adult size: 3 inches (7.5 cm) for males, 2 inches (5 cm) for females
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)