Platinum Orange Flash Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) - TANK-BRED!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Platinum Orange Flash Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid is a remarkable variant that has a clean white-gold body and striking orange fins in males!
The Platinum Orange Flash Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) is a variant of one of the most beautifully colored and most popular dwarf cichlids in the freshwater aquarium hobby. Males are particularly colorful, boasting incredible bright orange coloration on the ample dorsal fin as well as the tail. The body is white-gold. As with most dwarf cichlids, females are less colorful, but still have an attractive appearance and plenty of personality.
The Platinum Orange Flash Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Platinum Orange Flash Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Platinum Orange Flash Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering sexed young adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are displaying very good coloration, but their color will be even more vibrant as they mature further!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful white-gold body coloration with very bright orange coloration on the dorsal and caudal fins
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 2 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 3 inches (7.5 cm) for males, 2 inches (5 cm) for females
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)