Smudge Spot AKA Violet Cory Catfish (Corydoras similis), Tank-Bred
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via FedEx 1 Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see FedEx 1 Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This very lovely and rare Cory Catfish is seldom available, especially tank-bred specimens!
The Smudge Spot Cory Catfish (Corydoras similis), also known as the Violet Cory Catfish, is a very uncommon species that is native to Brazil. It is rare in the aquarium hobby, but is in high demand due to the striking dark violet coloration that it develops as it matures. It is a very animated, distinctively marked schooling fish that is perfect for the nano, community, and planted aquarium.
The Smudge Spot Cory Catfish is a very peaceful schooling fish that is compatible with most nano aquarium animals, including dwarf cichlids and angelfish. It might prey on some smaller dwarf shrimp, but is safe with larger shrimp and most other peaceful ornamental invertebrates. It is a classic scavenger and will inhabit and feed at the aquarium floor, which should be comprised of sand or smooth gravel. Very coarse substrate can damage its delicate barbels and underbelly, so it should be kept in an aquarium with sand or very smooth gravel substrate. This fish is otherwise undemanding as it will accept most dry,frozen, and live foods. It is adaptable to most tropical freshwater conditions as long as standard regular maintenance is performed and sudden changes are avoided.
- Very peaceful and hardy addition to almost any aquarium
- Compatible with most adult dwarf shrimp and other invertebrates
- Thrives in schools in well-planted aquaria
- Distinctive coloration and group schooling behavior.
- Temperature: 68° - 81° F (20° - 27° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.2. Softer water is preferred, but this fish is somewhat flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided.
- KH: 0 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15 gallons for a school of 6
- Diet: High-quality dry foods as well as live and frozen meaty foods. Variety is essential.
- Social behavior: Peaceful; requires a school of 6 or more to thrive.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Brazil
- Average adult size: 2.4 inches (6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)