Empire Gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa)
$ 44.99 $ 49.99
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Empire Gudgeon is a beautifully marked, highly sought after member of the goby family.
The Empire Gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa) is an extremely beautiful fish that makes an excellent addition to the nano or planted aquarium. A member of the goby family, this fish is a fully freshwater oddball that will thrive in a wide array of parameters. Though it can adapt to many different parameters, the Empire Gudgeon is not known to be easy to breed in the home aquarium.
Native to Australia, the Empire Gudgeon boasts neon red, blue, and sometimes green colors, especially breeding age adults. Mature males also have a noticeably rounded head. This fish does well and best displays its optimal color and social behavior in groups of 6 to 8 or more, although a pair can do very well in a smaller aquarium. It is a micro predator that requires some high-protein frozen foods (bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, etc.) to thrive, but it will also typically accept high-quality dry foods.
- Very active with peaceful disposition
- Easy to feed
- Adaptable to wide range of parameters
- Attractive, brilliant coloration
- Temperature: 68 - 95° F (22 - 26° C), but 70-80 is more ideal.
- pH: 5.0 - 9.1
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Will often accept high-quality dry foods, but also requires high-protein frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. Males will posture with one another, but typically cause no harm.
- Origin: Australia and southern New Guinea
- Average adult size: 3.9 - 4.7 inches (9.9 - 12 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2.5 inch (3.8 - 6.4 cm)