Celebes Rainbowfish (Marosatherina ladigesi) - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Celebes Rainbowfish is a beautiful, elegant, hardy, and active schooling fish that will add endless activity to the nano or planted aquarium!
The Celebes Rainbowfish (Marosatherina ladigesi) is one of the less widespread rainbowfish species and is native only to the streams of Sulawesi, Indonesia. It lives in very large schools in areas with dense vegetation, so it is an ideal candidate for the planted aquarium and especially enjoys the cover of floating plants. Males display iridescent yellow and blue coloration on their bodies and fins, particularly while competing with other males. The second dorsal and anal fins of males become very extended and fan-like with maturity. Females are typically smaller and somewhat less colorful, but still very attractive.
The Celebes Rainbowfish is peaceful with other fish species of similar size and can also be kept with peaceful invertebrates that are too large to be considered prey. It may prey on dwarf shrimp at its adult size, although it does not have a particularly large mouth. The most intense color will be displayed when this fish is kept in schools of 6 or more, including multiple males, in a heavily planted, spacious aquarium to ensure that subdominant males are not overly harassed by dominant males. As with many rainbowfish, darker substrate will also often result in better coloration. While it has often been incorrectly reported that this fish lives in or requires brackish water, it is a fully freshwater species that is simply able to survive in lightly brackish water. This is a testament to the Celebes Rainbowfish’s hardiness, although this fish typically does not fare well in soft water.
While this fish will easily accept high quality flake foods, it should also be fed plenty of small frozen or live meaty foods for optimal health and coloration. The Celebes Rainbowfish is a timid fish, so it can easily be out-competed for food by more aggressive eaters, so care must be taken to ensure that it gets its share of food.
The entire family of rainbowfish is popular in freshwater aquaria due to the generally peaceful disposition, hardiness, and beautiful coloration of its members. While many popular rainbowfish species eventually become too large to be kept with dwarf shrimp and some other nano species, the Celebes Rainbowfish is one of a few exceptions. Fully grown Celebes Rainbowfish are typically safe to keep even with adult dwarf shrimp and virtually all non-aggressive invertebrates that we offer.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums
- Compatible with most invertebrates too large to be considered prey
- Adults (especially males) display colorful, ornate finnage
- Among the smallest of the Rainbowfish family
- Very hardy and adaptable
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.0 – 8.0. Should not be kept in acidic conditions.
- KH: 10 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High quality dry foods will be accepted, but should be supplemented often with small, meaty frozen and live foods.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling, and should be kept in as large of groups as possible (6-8 fish minimum). Peaceful with most other comparably sized fish but can be timid and can be outcompeted for food. Usually compatible with invertebrates too large to be considered prey.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous rivers and estuaries of Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 3 – 3.2 inches (7.6 - 8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.2 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!