Asian Stone Mini Catfish AKA Anchor Catfish (Hara jerdoni)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Asian Stone Mini Catfish is an ideal nano species that is completely peaceful and very unique!
The Asian Stone Mini Catfish (Hara jerdoni), also known as the Moth Catfish or Anchor Catfish, is a miniature species native to slow-moving streams in India and Bangladesh. This gregarious little catfish is a peaceful micropredator that is nocturnal, but it will often leave its refuge during daylight hours when it feels secure. This catfish is very popular with nano and planted aquarium enthusiasts due to its small size and passive demeanor.
The Asian Stone Mini Catfish will thrive in an aquarium with sandy substrate and plenty of cover. It will be more active in visible if it feels secure, so plenty of decor such as rockwork, driftwood, and plants is key. It prefers gentle water flow and requires clean water, but it does not require a particularly large aquarium for a small group. It is a peaceful species that is compatible with many other "nano" fish as well as peaceful invertebrates that enjoy similar water parameters. Due to its small size, it is often kept with adult dwarf shrimp, although it is possible that this fish will eat small dwarf shrimp fry. It requires subtropical to low tropical temperatures. It is a highly gregarious species and must be kept in the largest group possible.
The diet of the Asian Stone Catfish should be mainly comprised of live and frozen meaty foods, especially when settling in to a new aquarium. In time, it will often accept high-quality dry foods. This small species is nocturnal and will feed most at night, at least initially.
- Very small, making it perfect for nano aquariums
- Completely peaceful
- Excellent scavenger
- Will not bother plants
- Thrives in subtropical setups
- Temperature: 64° - 75° F (18° - 24° C)
- pH: 5.6 - 7.6
- KH: 8 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 3 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Live and frozen meaty foods should be the bulk of its diet, but this fish will often also accept high-quality dry foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling. We recommend not keeping them with many other bottom-dwelling species, as their peaceful nature may lead them to be outcompeted for food.
Origin: India, Bangladesh
Average adult size: 1 - 1.2 inches (2.5 - 3 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 to 1 inch (2.5 cm)