Green Terror Cichlid (Andinoacara rivulatus), Locally Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Green Terror Cichlid is a neotropical classic that develops iridescent green to blue coloration across its entire body, especially in males!
The Green Terror Cichlid (Andinoacara rivulatus) is a longtime favorite in the freshwater aquarium hobby. Native to Peru and Ecuador, this species is extremely colorful, especially as it approaches adulthood. Males are the most colorful sex, but females are also very colorful. Both sexes have generous blue-green facial and body coloration and an orange margin on the dorsal fin and tail. Males grow noticeably larger and will typically develop extended dorsal and anal fins as well as a nuchal hump, which are all characteristic of many cichlid species.
The Green Terror Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It typically will not eat ornamental plants, but it does like to do a fair amount of digging, so floating plants and plants that attach to driftwood and rockwork are recommended. As its name states, this cichlid can be aggressive, especially in the confines of a smaller tank. It can be kept with other large cichlids, plecos, catfish, and other large, durable species in a very large tank as long as there is plenty of cover with decor to create broken lines of sight. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be avoided altogether, and care must be taken to ensure that the male Green Terror does not bully or kill the female. It is best to grow a group of juveniles together and allow them to pair off naturally, then give each pair its own tank if one wishes to start a breeding program with this species. Dwarf shrimp and other invertebrates should not be kept with the Green Terror Cichlid. Due to its size and waste production, regular water changes and maintenance are a must.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Green Terror Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are offering young specimens of this magnificent fish. They are already displaying superb coloration for their size.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful coloration in both males and females
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
- Excellent species for larger tanks
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperatre: 68° - 77° F (20° - 25° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 5 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons for a single adult, 90+ gallons for a pair
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Vegetable matter is also regularly required.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups as juveniles. Territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Peru and Ecuador
- Average adult size: 8.7 - 11.8 inches (22 - 30 cm). Females are smaller than males.
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5 cm) for juveniles, 2.5 - 3 inches (6.4 - 7.6 cm) for medium