* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The eel-like, peaceful Kuhli Loach is one of the most unique and fascinating loaches! This fish really does prefer to be in a group of at least six so the three quantity option is really only to add to an existing group.
The Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii/semicincta), also known as the Coolie Loach, is a longtime favorite for the community and planted aquarium. This peaceful fish is very distinctive for its eel-like body, which is a brown to burgundy color covered with bright orange stripes. Native to Malaysia, Sumatra, and Borneo (and possibly other nearby areas), the Kuhli Loach has become less available in recent years. The possible reason for this is that many importers of this fish have not understood or provided proper care, thus making healthy specimens scarce. Aquatic Arts quarantines all of our Kuhli Loaches before sale, as does our supplier for these magnificent fish!
The Kuhli Loach is a relatively undemanding fish, provided that a few specific needs are met. This fish is generally native to rivers and streams of low water flow. The pH of these waterways can be excessively acidic due to a great deal of dead leaves and other decaying plant matter. While the Kuhli Loach can acclimate to neutral or slightly alkaline water over time, it should at first be kept in acidic water under that is less than 7.0 pH. This shy fish can be sensitive during shipping and when initially introduced to a new tank. It must be provided with a great deal of cover and refuge in order to feel secure. It also must be kept in groups of at least 6 or more. As with most fish, it also requires a clean, well-maintained aquarium. The Kuhli Loach is typically an unfussy eater that will accept most sinking foods, but it should also be offered live or frozen foods of appropriate size. It will maintain its best health and coloration with a varied diet of high-quality meaty foods.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Resembles a tiny eel in appearance and motion
- Highly unique freshwater specimen
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 70° - 79° F (21° - 26° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0
- KH: 2 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger/Micropredator. Prefers sinking pellets, but will also accept most flake foods and algae wafers, and should also be provided with live/frozen foods such as freeze-dried daphnia, bloodworms, tubifex, etc.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. Must be kept in groups of 6 or more.
- Origin: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Java, Borneo, Sumatra
- Average adult size: 3 - 4 inches (7.6 to 10 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!