Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark Loach (Myxocyprinus asiaticus), Captive-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot ship this fish to Wisconsin. As with all non-native species, this fish must never be released into US native waterways.
The Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark Loach is an incredible fish that grows to a very impressive size, perfect for many large pond setups!
The Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark Loach (Myxocyprinus asiaticus), also known as the Hi Fin Banded Sucker or Freshwater Batfish, is a very impressive species that is long-lived and grows to a large size. This Yangtze River native inhabits spacious rivers with lots of swimming space and moderate to high river flow. A gentle giant, the Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark is a gregarious species that is not particularly territorial and feeds on small invertebrates as well as a great deal of algae and plant matter. It has very distinct tan and brown striping as a juvenile, but its color changes to a mostly uniform dark brown as it matures. While this fish is commonly referred to as a "shark" or "loach," it is actually its own type of suckermouth cyprinid that is related to loaches. It unfortunately is in steep population decline in many of its native areas, but it is captive-bred by many farms.
The habitat of the Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark Loach should include plenty of plants, rockwork, and driftwood for it to explore. The Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark Loach is an active species that also needs plenty of clear room in the aquarium for swimming. It is generally peaceful to other species too large to be considered prey, but due to its eventual large size, it should not be kept with invertebrates. Also due to its eventual large size and 20+ year lifespan, it is not an appropriate fish for most aquariums. It is, however, a good candidate for many large pond setups that could also be used for koi. It will sometimes jump from the water, so a secure lid is necessary if it is kept in an aquarium.
The Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark Loach is an omnivorous species requiring a diet of meaty foods as well as plenty of vegetable matter. It will often accept high quality dry foods, but its diet should also include regular offerings of live/frozen meaty foods of invertebrate origin. Any dry foods should include spirulina or other plant matter.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Distinct coloration and body shape
- Peaceful disposition
- Adaptable to a wide range of water parameters
- Very active in middle and lower levels of the aquarium
- Excellent candidate for large ponds
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 59° - 80° F (15° - 26.6° C), although 59° - 70° (15° - 70°) is more ideal.
- pH: 6.0 – 8.0
- KH: 2 - 20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 300+ gallons for a full-grown adult. More appropriate for ponds.
- Diet: Omnivore. Live and frozen meaty foods, especially frozen foods such as cyclops, Daphnia, Artemia, Tubifex, and bloodworms will all be readily accepted. High quality dry foods are also likely to be accepted. Plenty of plant matter, such as spriulina, cucumber, zucchini, and blanched spinach should also be offered.
- Social behavior: Peaceful with fish too large to be considered prey. Can be kept solitarily, but will shoal/school when kept in groups.
- Origin: Myanmar, India, Thailand
- Average adult size: 32 - 36+ inches (80 - 90 cm), although 24 inches (61 cm) is more common
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!