Add a splash of color to your aquarium with some lively, hardy, and vibrant Assorted Platies!
The Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus) is a classic community fish that makes a great addition to any aquarium. There are nearly endless color (and other) variants of this fish, so why not grab a little of everything? This is a very peaceful, undemanding fish that will thrive in most aquariums, especially the planted aquarium.
Platies are compatible with most other peaceful aquarium species. It is an omnivore, so it will potentially prey on smaller dwarf shrimp and their fry, but it is otherwise safe to keep with peaceful invertebrates as well. This fish is not a picky eater and it will accept a variety of high-quality dry foods, but these should be supplemented with a variety of frozen foods as well. It will mostly occupy the middle and upper regions of the aquarium, and it does have the ability to jump out of the water, especially while in the early stages of acclimating to a new aquarium. As a result, a secure lid is highly recommended to ensure that this fish does not jump out of the tank.
Plants are not absolutely necessary for Platies, but they will certainly be appreciated. All stem plants and mosses are safe to keep with this fish. Platies are an excellent fish for beginners as well as experts!
What We Like About These Platys:
- Hardy and adaptable
- Mix of colorations
- Small size, suitable for smaller tanks
- Peaceful disposition
- Perfect for the planted aquarium
Recommended Tank Parameters:
- Temperature: 64° - 77° F (17.7° - 25° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.2, though a maximum of 7.5 is ideal
- KH: 10 - 25
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
Fish Care Guidelines:
- Diet: High quality flake foods and frozen foods such as bloodworms
- Social behavior: Shoaling, peaceful with most species.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Central and South America
- Average adult size: 2 - 2.8 inches (5 - 7.1 cm). Females are larger than males.
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
Looking for other livebearers? Aquatic Arts has a wide variety of freshwater guppies, endlers, swordtails, & other platyfish.