Tall AKA Umbrella Hairgrass (Eleocharis vivipara) is a very dense-growing plant that is perfect for covering large sections of the aquarium background. As its name suggests, it can grow to heights of over 20 inches! In addition to its attractive appearance, this plant provides dense foliage for shrimp and fish fry.
Tall Hairgrass is a relatively hardy and durable plant as long as it is provided with nutrient-rich water and, just as importantly, full-spectrum lighting suitable for moderate to high-light plants. It propagates by runners in the substrate. Under optimal conditions, it will need to be trimmed back occasionally in areas where it is not desired to spread. As stated above, it can grow to very impressive heights and it typically will not stop growing once it has reached the surface of the aquarium. For this reason, we do not recommend it for smaller, shorter aquariums, but we highly recommend it for larger, taller planted tanks.
While Tall Hairgrass does not require CO2 supplementation, it will grow taller and faster while maintaining its beautiful bright green coloration under these conditions. Unlike some hairgrass species, it does not require vertical trimming and it can also be grown emersed in semi-aquatic aquariums and terrariums.
Like most plants, Tall Hairgrass will benefit from supplementation such as Seachem Flourish, Flourish Excel, nitrogen, and other plant supplements.
What We Like About This Plant:
- Extremely tall growth that will reach the top of most aquariums
- Grows in a dense mat that will easily cover a large area if desired
- Provides a great deal of cover for animal fry
- Can be very hardy and durable in a well-lit, nutrient-rich aquarium
- Temperature: 59° - 77° F (15° - 25° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 9.0
- Lighting: Moderate to high
- Origin: Indigenous to Southern North and South America, cultivated in US nurseries
- Aquarium placement: Background
- Care: Easy to moderate
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!