We HIGHLY recommend a plant dip for Hornwort to help ensure that no pesky critters make it into your tank. Hornwort is grown in an outdoor nursery. We can not treat these plants with harmful chemicals as it would put not only our livestock at risk, but our customers' livestock as well. Please give this plant a very good rinse upon arrival. We do all we can to prevent these unwanted guests from traveling with all of our plants, but snails and sometimes other critters are tricky and can slip through the cracks. We treat our plant tanks with Fenbendazole, an anti-parasitic medication that kills snails and worms but does not harm most other aquatic animals or plants. Unfortunately, this does not work 100% of the time. It is very common for plant sellers to unknowingly send snails with plants, because pest snails are pros at hiding their eggs inside the plants.
This combo pack includes 3 varieties of live aquatic plants that are suitable for beginners! Live plants make a beautiful upgrade over plastic plants, which can look tacky and make your tank appear unnatural. Real plants are great for giving your aquarium a natural look, and they can be combined with driftwood or natural-colored gravel to replicate a natural-looking ecosystem.
Each of these plants is fast-growing and grows by using waste and pollutants in the water, making them an extremely effective part of your biological filtration. Keeping these plants in your tank may reduce or even eliminate the need for water changes!
This pack includes the following:
1. Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum): a fast-growing stem plant with needle-like leaves. It easily grows 1 inch or so per week if adequate nutrients are available. This Hornwort portion includes several 3 inch or longer stems.
2. Duckweed (Lemna minor): a fast-growing floating plant made up of fronds that resemble tiny lily pads. The fronds reproduce very quickly and provide shade and cover with their floating roots. This pack's portion of Duckweed includes 250+ fronds/pods.
3. Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri / Vesicularia dubyana): This moss attaches to surfaces and grows into a bushy mat, making it very effective for providing cover for aquatic animals. This pack's portion includes enough moss to make a large, 5 by 5 square inch mat.
All three of these plants are easy to grow and are fine with low-light setups, although more light will encourage faster and denser growth. The plants will grow enough to fill a 30 gallon aquarium in two months or less. They grow by absorbing waste (including ammonia and nitrates) from the water, which means they reduce pollutants that cause smelly or cloudy water and make for happier fish and invertebrates!
What We Like About These Plants:
- Great for beginners
- Beautiful and variable shades of green on each plant
- Can thrive in any type of lighting
- Temperature: 50° - 77° F (10° - 25° C)
- pH: 5.0 - 9.0, though 6.0 - 7.5 is ideal
- Lighting: Low to high
- Origin: Tank-raised. Each plant naturally grows worldwide.
- Aquarium placement: Anywhere
- Care: Easy
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!
No aquarium plant distributor/nursery/wholesaler/retailer can or will guarantee their plants to be 100% snail free. We can not guarantee our plants will be snail free.