Sparkling Dwarf Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) - Tank-Raised!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This lovely little fish is very beautifully marked and is perfect for the peaceful planted or nano aquarium!
The Sparkling Dwarf Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) is a brilliantly colored, very small labyrinth fish. Also known as the Pumilus Gourami, it inhabits many slow-moving waterways in Southeast Asia. Like all labyrinth fish, it possesses an air-breathing organ that supplements its gills and allows it to live in aquatic areas that are poor in oxygen. Its iridescent green, blue, and red spotting make it a striking addition to the nano and planted aquarium.
The Sparkling Dwarf Gourami requires an aquarium with dense vegetation and plenty of cover. A darker substrate will result in the most vivid coloration for this fish. Slow to moderate water movement is preferred, so turbulent conditions should be avoided. This fish is typically timid and peaceful with other fish, but males can be territorial with their own species. This is much less of an issue in larger aquariums. While it is possible to keep this fish with most peaceful invertebrates, it is also possible that it will go after dwarf shrimp, so vigilance and caution is necessary.
A balanced diet for the Sparkling Dwarf Gourami should consist of algae-based flakes, carnivorous flakes, and meaty frozen or freeze-dried foods. It is not a picky eater.
- Bright, multi-colored iridescent coloration
- Peaceful disposition
- An excellent, graceful addition to nano and planted aquariums
- Accepts a variety of dry and frozen foods
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Requires a diet of vegetable-based dry foods as well as meaty flake and frozen/freeze-dried foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and timid. Can be kept in groups, but males can be territorial with one another.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Southeast Asia.
- Average adult size: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 inch (1.3 cm)