Rummy Nose Rasbora AKA Sawbwa Barb (Sawbwa resplendens) - TANK-BRED!!!
This beautiful rasbora is an ideal candidate for the heavily planted aquarium and displays fascinating shoaling behavior!
The Rummy Nose Rasbora (Sawbwa resplendens), also known as the Asian Rummy Nose Tetra (although it is not a true tetra), is a beautiful cooler-water nano fish that is very popular among aquarists due to its shoaling behavior, peaceful disposition, and small size. This fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium with dark substrate. The wild populations of this fish are unfortunately suffering, but there are a few farms cultivating and preserving this magnificent species
The Rummy Nose Rasbora typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish that will not out-compete it for food. This small rasbora can be housed with adult dwarf shrimp, although it might prey on shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Rummy Nose Rasbora must be kept in schools of 6 or more, although larger schools are much more ideal since males will continually posture and compete for dominance. The shoaling behavior of a large group of this fish is fascinating. Its natural habitat typically has slow water flow and can vary widely in pH level. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present. This fish is exceptionally adaptable for a rasbora.
While not a picky eater, the Rummy Nose Rasbora will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Interesting shoaling behavior, especially in large groups
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates including adult dwarf shrimp
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64.4° - 72° F (18° - 22° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0
- KH: 3-12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Myanmar
- Average Adult Size: 1 - 1.4 inches (2.5 - 3.5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!