Pingu Guppy (Poecilia reticulata var. “Pingu”), Males and Females, Tank-Bred!
The Pingu Guppy is one of the most striking guppy varieties and it is an excellent fish for the nano or planted aquarium!
The Pingu Guppy (Poecilia reticulata var. “Pingu”) is a recently developed guppy variety, and it is exceptional in its coloration. In males, the head and pelvic area are bright blue, the rest of the body is white or pink, and the tail is bright yellow! We are pleased to now offer male/female pairs of this fish so that you can start your own colony if you wish. Females of this variety are extremely rare and can often command a hefty price.
Guppies typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the guppy. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but guppies may eat shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Guppies are best kept in groups.
While not a picky eater, the Pingu Guppy will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods and some vegetable matter. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried foods will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful blue, pink, and yellow coloration in males
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to northern South America.
- Average adult size: 2.5 inches (6.3 cm), females are larger
- Average purchase size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm) or larger