Pacific Signifier Blue Eye Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil signifer) - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This beautiful rainbowfish is an excellent nano species and it is one of the most variable and versatile species of its family!
The Pacific Blue Eye Signifer Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil signifer) is the most widespread and variable of the blue eye rainbowfish that inhabit the freshwater and brackish rivers and estuaries of coastal Western Australia. It lives in very large schools in areas with dense vegetation, so it is an ideal candidate for the planted aquarium. While some populations of this fish inhabit brackish or even fully marine water, it is not necessary to provide brackish water in the aquarium. Males display brilliant yellow to orange coloration on their bodies and fins, particularly while competing/posturing with other males. Females also possess this attractive coloration, but to a lesser extent. Both males and females feature stunningly bright blue eyes that contrasts beautifully with their yellow to orange bodies.
The Pacific Blue Eye Signifer Rainbowfish is generally peaceful with other fish species of similar size, but smaller shrimp fry may fall prey. The most intense color will be displayed when this fish kept in schools of 6 or more, including multiple males, in a heavily planted, spacious aquarium to ensure that subdominant males are not overly harassed by dominant males. As with many rainbowfish, darker substrate will also often result in better coloration.
The entire family of rainbowfish is popular in freshwater aquaria due to the generally peaceful disposition, hardiness, and beautiful coloration of its members. While many popular rainbowfish species eventually become too large to be kept with dwarf shrimp and some other nano species, the Pacific Blue Eye Signifer Rainbowfish is one of a few exceptions. Fully grown Pacific Blue Eye Signifer Rainbowfish are typically safe to keep even with adult dwarf shrimp and virtually all non-aggressive invertebrates that we offer.
- Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums
- Compatible with many invertebrates
- Adults (especially males) display colorful, ornate finnage
- Active and easy to feed
- Temperature: 59° - 82° F (15° - 28° C), although 72° - 82° is optimal
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 12 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High quality dry foods will be accepted, but should be supplemented often with small, meaty frozen and live foods.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling. Should be kept in as large of groups as possible. Dominant males may attack or kill subdominant males in small aquariums. Peaceful with most other comparably-sized fish.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Eastern Australia.
- Average adult size: 1.5 - 2.8 inches (3.5 - 7 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)