Norman’s Lampeye Killifish (Poropanchax normani), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This small fish is very peaceful and ideal for both beginners and experts alike, plus it is an excellent addition to the planted aquarium!
The Norman’s Lampeye Killifish (Poropanchax normani) is a peaceful fish whose small size makes it absolutely perfect for the nano or planted aquarium. Its name refers to the horizontal crescent at the top of its eye that seems to “glow” under the aquarium light. Native to Central and Western Africa, this hardy fish is excellent for even beginners. It will often spawn in the aquarium.
The Norman’s Lampeye Killifish occupies the top level of the water column almost exclusively. It is not afraid to jump, so it must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. It will not eat or bother plants and it will appreciate the cover, especially with floating plants. This fish is clearly best suited for a heavily planted aquarium.
While this fish is compatible with other peaceful fish and invertebrate species that thrive in a planted aquarium, care must be taken to not add species that will outcompete the Norman’s Lampeye Killifish for food. Also, other fish species will eat most of the fry of the Norman’s Lampeye Killifish when it is spawning, so other tankmate species are not recommended if breeding is desired. While many killifish are kept in pairs, the Norman’s Lampeye Killifish seems to thrive and show the best coloration in groups. It will feel most secure when kept in groups of 6 or more. It is safe with adult dwarf shrimp, but like most fish, it may eat some shrimp fry.
The Norman’s Lampeye Killifish is not necessarily a picky eater, but it requires a varied diet of foods that can be consumed at the top of the water column. High quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods of manageable size will all be accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very hardy and ideal for beginners
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
- Safe with adult dwarf shrimp
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73° - 78° F (23° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.0
- KH: 4 – 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for a group of 6 or more
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health.
- Social behavior: Schooling. Must be kept in schools of 6 or more. This peaceful, timid species is easily outcompeted for food by more boisterous species.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Central and Western Africa
- Average adult size: 1.2 – 1.6 inches (3 – 4 cm)
- Average purchase size: 0.5 – 1 inch (1.27 – 2.54 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!