Japan Blue Red Double Sword Guppy (Poecilia reticulata "Japan Blue Red Double Sword"), Males and Females - Tank-Bred!
$ 10.29 $ 11.49
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
As with virtually all "double sword" varieties, this guppy is exceptionally colorful and elegant!
The Japan Blue Red Double Sword Guppy (Poecilia reticulata "Japan Blue Red Double Sword") is a relatively new color strain that has only very recently become available. Its vibrant coloration and outgoing personality make it a great addition and centerpiece fish for almost any community aquarium. Its sky blue and red coloration is nearly striking and remarkable. While it is fairly rare, the Japan Blue Red Double Sword Guppy has quickly become a popular fish for the nano or planted aquarium, particularly due to its small size, which makes it an excellent cohabitant for adult dwarf shrimp.
Guppies typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the guppy. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but guppies may eat shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Guppies are best kept in small to large groups.
While not a picky eater, the Japan Blue Red Double Sword Guppy will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods supplemented with foods high in spirulina or other nutritious vegetable content. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried foods will all be readily accepted.
- Exceptional sky blue and red coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Very active and outgoing
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will readily accept high quality dry and frozen foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Northern South America
- Average adult size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)