German Gold Ram Dwarf Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi var. "Gold") - TANK-RAISED!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This beautiful dwarf cichlid is a striking gold/yellow variant of the ever-popular German Blue Ram!
The German Gold Ram Dwarf Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi var. “Gold”) is a striking variant of the ever-popular German Blue Ram Dwarf Cichlid. It has an overall bright yellow/gold coloration that is adorned with neon blue and red highlights across many areas of its body. As with many dwarf cichlids, males generally boast the most intense coloration, especially during spawning. However, unlike many dwarf cichlid species, females are also extremely colorful.
The German Gold Ram Dwarf Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the German Gold Ram Dwarf Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy German Gold Ram Dwarf Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering sub-adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are displaying exceptional coloration, but their color will be even more vibrant as they mature further!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful bright gold-yellow coloration with neon blue specks and some red highlights
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 2 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)