* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Denison's Barb is one of the most beautiful freshwater aquarium fish worthy of being the centerpiece species!
Also known by the names Red Torpedo Barb and Roseline Shark, the Denison’s Barb (Sahyadria denisonii) is one of the most strikingly colorful and active fish available for the freshwater aquarium. It has become extremely popular among aquarists over the past few years, and a few commercial breeding programs have been developed to ensure its longevity in the aquarium hobby. The Denison’s Barb is known for its incredible bright red coloration, as well as its peaceful disposition. It is a very hardy species that will thrive in most community and planted aquariums of appropriate size.
Care is simple for the Denison’s Barb. It is tolerant of a wide range of water parameters, but it will thrive in an aquarium with ample filtration and moderate to high water flow. This active fish is known to jump occasionally, so a secure aquarium lid is recommended. It will readily eat most high-quality dry foods, but it should also be offered fresh vegetables such as zucchini and cucumber as well as meaty frozen or freeze-dried foods.
As stated above, the Denison’s Barb is a peaceful fish, but it will prey on dwarf shrimp and other very small invertebrates. It does not seem to bother most snails, and we have found it to be generally peaceful with most larger shrimp (such as Amano, Flower, Green Lace, and Vampire Shrimp) as long as they are too large to be considered easy prey. The Denison’s Barb is a schooling fish that should be kept in a group of at least 6 to 8 fish.
If these requirements are met, the Denison’s Barb is an excellent aquarium fish that is worthy of being the centerpiece of any peaceful aquarium!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Bright Red coloration that is especially bold in a planted aquarium
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful larger invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and beautiful centerpiece fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 59° - 77° F (15° - 25° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.8
- KH: 4 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 50 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods as well as fresh vegetables
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to India
- Average adult size: 1.5 - 3.3 inches (9 - 11 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.54 – 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!