Boeseman's AKA Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani), Tank-bred
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
Boeseman's Rainbowfish is a beautifully colored, classic schooling fish!
The Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) is one of the most popular and colorful rainbowfish species. It lives in very large schools in areas with dense vegetation, so it is an ideal candidate for the planted aquarium and appreciates floating plants in its habitat. As an adult, this rainbowfish displays a stunning blue and orange coloration. As with most rainbowfish, mature males display the brightest coloration, particularly while competing/posturing with other males. Females also possess the same attractive coloration, but to a lesser extent.
The Boesemani Rainbowfish is generally peaceful with other fish species of similar size, but smaller shrimp fry may fall prey. Its mouth and throat are relatively small for its body size, so it might be possible to keep it with adult dwarf shrimp. All other invertebrates (including larger Amano, Bamboo, and Vampire Shrimp) should be compatible with no problems.
The most intense color will be displayed when this fish kept in schools of 6 or more (including multiple males) in a heavily planted, spacious aquarium to ensure that subdominant males are not overly harassed by dominant males. As with many rainbowfish, darker substrate will also often result in better coloration. The Boesemani Rainbowfish is very easy to feed and will accept most high quality dry foods, but also requires various frozen and live foods in its diet for optimal health and coloration.
**Our specimens are juveniles and will color up as they grow.
- Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums
- Compatible with many invertebrates
- Adults display brilliant blue and orange coloration
- Active and easy to feed
- Temperature: 81° - 86° F (27° - 30° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High quality dry foods will be accepted, but should be supplemented often with small, meaty frozen and live foods.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling, should be kept in as large of groups as possible. Dominant males may attack or kill subdominant males in small aquariums. Peaceful with most other comparably-sized fish.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Ajamaru.
- Average adult size: 3.2 - 4.4 inches (8 - 11 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5.1 cm)