FilterPlus (Professional Grade Aquarium Filter Bio-Media)
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Professional grade bio-media for your home aquarium.
FilterPlus is one of the most highly effective types of bio-media on the market. It is comprised of a naturally occurring mineral mined and graded right here in the United States! It will never break down in your aquarium and will never need to be replaced. It contains no artificial materials, chemicals, or any other additives.
FilterPlus is the only bio-media used at the Aquatic Arts facility, where it provides Bio-Filtration to over 150 holding tanks and over 10,000 aquatic animals. We have such confidence in FilterPlus that we do 5 or less ammonia tests per week while caring for over 150 holding tanks!
*IMPORTANT* Please "Choose a Pack" above before adding this item to your cart. We offer three options for our FilterPlus Bio-Media:
- 400 grams + upgrade bag (enough for 50+ gallons)
- 1000 grams without bag (enough for 100+ gallons)
- 2000 grams without bag (enough for 200+ gallons)
400g Instant Upgrade Bag of professional grade bio-media for your aquarium:
Each FilterPlus 400g Instant Upgrade Bag is sufficient to filter up to 30 gallons if heavily stocked, or 55 gallons if medium-stocked. A second bag doubles the filtration power, and a third bag triples it. The FilterPlus bag(s) should be added to any high flow area of an aquarium filter, and can be used in canister filters, hang on filters, and wet/dry filters or sumps. The mesh bags containing the FilterPlus media are high-flow bags that will ensure the FilterPlus receives even and optimal water flow.
1000g of professional grade bio-media for your home aquarium:
Each 1000g of FilterPlus is enough bio-media to filter a heavily stocked 55 to 75 gallon aquarium, or a medium-stocked 100 gallon aquarium. We recommend 75 to 100 grams per 10 gallons for medium-stock level, and 150 to 200 grams per 10 gallons for heavy-stock level.
2000g of professional grade bio-media for your home aquarium:
Each 2000g of FilterPlus is enough bio-media to filter a heavily stocked 125 to 150 gallon aquarium, or a medium-stocked 225 gallon aquarium. We recommend 75 to 100 grams per 10 gallons for medium-stock level, and 150 to 200 grams per 10 gallons for heavy-stock level.
The Best Bio Media
FilterPlus can be used with or without media bags, and can usually be added directly to your filter's media chambers. It can be used in almost all types of filters, including canister filters, hang on filters, and it can even be used as substrate for additional bio-filtration.
The secret to the amazing bio-filtration abilities of FilterPlus is the extremely porous surface area. This provides far more surface area by volume than plastic Bio-Balls or ceramic rings. It also massively outperforms standard filter cartridges. FilterPlus can save you a significant amount of money on replacement bio-filters, as it never needs to be replaced.
FilterPlus is most highly recommended for canister filters, where it can usually be added directly to the media chambers. Due to the large size and low permeability of the individual pieces, FilterPlus can house anaerobic bacteria, which remove nitrates from the water! This bacteria can take time to establish, but once it does it can dramatically reduce the need for water changes due to rising nitrates.
Biological Filtration Media Highlights
- Professional grade bio-media for your home aquarium - FilterPlus is the only bio-media used by Aquatic Arts in over 150 holding tanks!
- Extreme surface area provides maximum surface area for growth of beneficial bacteria, enabling higher stocking levels and greatly superior bio-filtration to Bio-Balls or ceramic rings. FilterPlus is also capable of housing anaerobic bacteria, which can greatly reduce the need for water changes.
- Only 75 to 100 grams per 10 gallons is needed for excellent bio-filtration. 150 to 200 grams per 10 gallons is recommended for sensitive animals or high stock levels or bioload. Here at Aquatic Arts, we use 250 grams per 10 gallons in even our most heavily stocked tanks.
- Each FilterPlus Instant Upgrade Bag will filter up to a heavily stocked 30 gallon aquarium, or a medium-stocked 55 gallon aquarium. Adding another bag doubles the filtration power!
- Completely natural! FilterPlus contains no chemicals or artificial materials. It will not alter pH or hardness, and it never needs to be replaced!