Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Rocio octofasciata), Tank-Bred
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Jack Dempsey Cichlids: Where vibrant colors meet fierce personalities in the world of aquarium elegance.
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS 1Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS 1Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
Jack Dempsey Cichlids (Rocio octofasciata) are named after the famous American professional boxer, Jack Dempsey. This naming is due to their aggressive and pugnacious behavior, which is reminiscent of the boxer's fighting spirit in the ring. Jack Dempsey Cichlids are known for their territorial and occasionally aggressive nature, especially during breeding and defending their territories, which led to their association with the boxer's name
While Jack Dempsey Cichlids are known for their spirited temperament, they can coexist harmoniously with appropriate tankmates. Consider pairing them with other medium to large cichlid species or robust fish like larger tetras, barbs, or catfish.
What We Like About This Fish:
Striking Appearance: Their iridescent blue-green body with electric blue and black markings is visually captivating.
Unique Personality: They exhibit distinctive and charismatic behavior, often forming strong bonds with their owners.
Territorial Behavior: Their territorial nature can be intriguing to observe as they defend their territory and interact with other fish.
Color Variations: Numerous color morphs and variations offer a range of vibrant choices.
Size and Growth: They can grow to a substantial size, making them a prominent centerpiece fish in larger tanks.
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
Temperature: Maintain a stable water temperature in the range of 78-82°F (25-28°C). These cichlids thrive in warm water conditions.
pH Level: Keep the pH level within the range of 6.5 to 7.5. This slightly acidic to neutral pH range helps maintain their health and well-being.
KH (Carbonate Hardness): Aim for a carbonate hardness (KH) between 4-10 dKH. This range provides stability to the water chemistry and supports the health of your Jack Dempsey Cichlids.
Minimum Tank Size: To accommodate their territorial behavior and potential growth, it's highly recommended to provide a tank with a minimum size of 75 gallons (284 liters). Larger tanks, when possible, are even better to create a spacious and comfortable environment for these cichlids.
Maintaining these optimal tank parameters will help ensure the well-being and vibrant colors of your Jack Dempsey Cichlids, allowing them to thrive in your aquarium.
- Diet: Varied Diet: Jack Dempsey Cichlids are omnivorous and should be provided with a diverse diet. Offer them high-quality cichlid pellets or flakes as a staple. Supplement their diet with live or frozen foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, and earthworms. Occasional vegetable matter, like blanched spinach or peas, can also be included.
- Social behavior: Territorial and Aggressive: Jack Dempsey Cichlids are known for their territorial and occasionally aggressive behavior, especially during breeding and defending their territory. They may not be suitable for community tanks with timid or small fish. Provide them with enough space and suitable tankmates that can handle their territorial nature.
- Origin: Native to Central America: These cichlids originate from the warm waters of Central America, particularly in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. They are often found in slow-moving rivers and freshwater lakes in the region.
- Average adult size: Jack Dempsey Cichlids can reach an average adult size of 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) in captivity. Be prepared for their growth and ensure you have an adequately sized tank.
- Average purchase size: 2.5 to 3 inches (6.5-7.5 cm).