The Zamboanga Snail is virtually unknown in the aquarium hobby, but is an excellent snail for the freshwater aquarium!
The Zamboanga Snail (Angulyagra zamboangensis) is an excellent scavenger that is native to the Philippines. It is native to Thailand and some other countries in Southeast Asia. The Zamboanga Snail spends most of its time climbing aquarium terrain and scavenging. It is a livebearing snail, but it does not reproduce asexually and it will not proliferate at a high rate, so it will not become a "pest" snail. It is very similar to the related Japanese Trapdoor Snail and mystery snails in size and shape.
Feeding and care is very easy for the Zamboanga Snail. It requires the same maintenance and conditions as most tropical aquarium snails and should never be exposed to copper. It does require softer water than some freshwater snail species, particularly nerite snails. It will eat nearly any high-quality dry and frozen foods, but it will also feed heavily on algae, biofilm, and decaying plant matter in the aquarium. The Zamboanga Snail is somewhat sensitive to declining water quality, so regular aquarium maintenance is a must.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Extremely uncommon in the aquarium hobby
- Completely peaceful
- Unique bronze shell
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger and algae eater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82.4° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.2 - 7.0
- KH: 3 - 6 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 5-10 gallons per snail
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be sparingly fed daily.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Philippines
- Average adult size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!