White Tubercled Crayfish (Procambarus spiculifer), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we ship this crayfish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This rare crayfish boasts a beautiful multi-colored pattern in both tan and blue variants!
The White Tubercled Crayfish (Procambarus spiculifer) is a wonderful representative of the many beautiful crayfish that are native to the United States. It occurs in multiple color varieties, most of which are a strikingly marbled brown/tan or blue pattern, although other colors are also often present. One of the most unique characteristics of this crayfish is the coloration of its claws, which are usually dark in color with contrasting white tubercles all over the claws. The claws also often have red or orange tips.
The White Tubercled Crayfish is less tolerant of polluted water than many more common Procambarus species, so it requires very clean, well-maintained water to thrive and achieve longevity. Most of its other general care requirements and temperament are similar to other popular Procambarus species and varieties, although it seems to be less interested in eating ornamental plants. We do not recommend keeping the White Tubercled Crayfish in heavily planted tanks, but it is very possible that some plants can thrive in the same tank as this marvelous crayfish.
Though most crayfish are often reclusive by nature, this particular crayfish is very active by comparison and spends plenty of time exploring the floor of the aquarium in search of food. The White Tubercled Crayfish is an omnivorous scavenger and will eat most any meaty or plant-based foods. This crayfish should not be kept with ornamental live plants as it will eat them at a surprising rate.
As it reaches adulthood, the White Tubercled Crayfish can become relatively territorial, so it may behave aggressively towards other animals in the tank. It is important that ample hiding places such as rockwork, driftwood, or PVC pipes be provided. This is even more crucial when housing multiple crayfish in the same tank. Due to the size and waste production of this crayfish, a minimum 30-gallon, well-filtered aquarium is necessary for one adult. A larger aquarium can house multiple adults of similar size. This is a very hardy animal, but regular water changes are vital to its optimal health. Other bottom-dwelling invertebrates and fish should not be kept with large crayfish. It is possible to keep mid- and upper-level, fast-swimming fish with the White Tubercled Crayfish, but crayfish are opportunistic feeders and will generally eat whatever they can catch.
As with all of our crayfish, the coloration of the White Tubercled Crayfish is EXTREMELY high quality. This crayfish may TEMPORARILY change color and hide more than usual after molting, which may occur during shipping. If your crayfish has faded color and you find a molt in the bag or in your aquarium, do not worry; this is normal and the bright color will return in 2 weeks or less.
*IMPORTANT* Please "Choose a Variant" above before adding this crayfish to your cart. The variants we're currently offering are:
- 1 Male White Tubercled Crayfish - 2 to 3+ inch Young Adult
- 1 Female White Tubercled Crayfish - 2 to 3+ inch Young Adult
- 1 Male/Female Pair of White Tubercled Crayfish - 2 to 3+ inches(We guarantee a very high-quality, breeding age young adult male/female crayfish pair for this listing)
- 1 Juvenile White Tubercled Crayfish - 1+ inch (A younger and smaller specimen of the White Tubercled Crayfish at a lower price than our young adult specimens. This is a particularly fast-growing, hardy species and will usually grow well into adult size and coloration within 1 to 3 months. In the meantime, any customers who choose to go with a juvenile specimen can save some money and experience the excitement of watching their little crayfish grow!)
- 1 B-Grade White Tubercled Crayfish - 2 to 3+ inch Young Adult(All of our “B-Grade” crayfish are simply specimens that are missing legs or claws. Loss of appendages is not permanent and happens commonly with crustaceans. They are completely healthy with excellent coloration and will completely regenerate lost appendages within 1 to 2 molts (about 2 to 3 months)
What We Like About This Crayfish:
- Excellent coloration in both tan/brown and blue varieties
- Generally less harmful to plants than many crayfish species
- Rare and unique
- Excellent scavenger
- RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 65 - 76° F (18 - 24° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 6 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- CARE INFORMATION:
- Diet: Omnivorous. High-quality sinking pellets, plants, and freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods will be readily accepted. Cuttlebone should be added to the aquarium to supplement calcium, which will aid in exoskeleton production.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates . Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Can be aggressive/territorial with its own kind. Crayfish will typically eat whatever they can catch, but since they are slow-moving, they are not often able to harm fast-moving fish.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Southeastern United States
- Average adult size: 4 - 5 inches (10 - 12.7 cm) body length, minus claws
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5+ cm)
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tank mates: Fast-moving fish (such as Celestial Pearl Danios, Rasboras, Guppies, etc.). While dwarf shrimp can be kept successfully with these crayfish, caution should be exercised, as the crayfish have been known to catch and eat slow, sick, or particularly small shrimp. Most cichlids can be aggressive toward crayfish and should not be kept in the same tank. Bottom-dwelling tankmates should also be avoided.
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!