White Fin Ornate Tetra (Hyphessobrycon bentosi) - Tank-Bred!
$ 8.49 $ 16.99
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The White Fin Ornate Tetra adds color and elegance to the community and planted aquarium!
The White Fin Ornate Tetra (Hyphessobrycon bentosi) is a strikingly beautiful tetra that is becoming increasingly popular among aquarists due to its elegant appearance and peaceful disposition. This fish boasts translucent maroon and pink body coloration and long, flowing, white-tipped fins. A school of these can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium, and will particularly stand out in any planted aquarium.
The White Fin Ornate Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe to keep with other peaceful, small fish. This tetra has a small mouth, but it still might prey on small adult shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The White Fin Ornate Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-bred, this fish is somewhat adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present.
While not a picky eater, the White Fin Ornate Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
- Beautiful coloration and fins
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for planted aquariums
- Temperature: 68° - 82.4° F (20° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.6 - 7.2 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 1 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America.
- Average adult size: 1.6 - 1.8 inches (4 - 4.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)