Triangle Sulawesi Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania sinabartfeldi)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship Sulawesi Snails exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This snail is a very unique member of the Sulawesi rabbit snail family and it is much smaller than many of its relatives!
Sulawesi Rabbit Snails are some of the most fascinating snails in the aquarium hobby, and the Triangle Giant Sulawesi Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania sinabartfeldi) is fascinating even among the other members of its genus. Its natural habitat is in Indonesia and it is only rarely seen in the United States. The "Rabbit" name likely comes from its rabbit-like face and drooping antennae that resemble a rabbit's ears. However, the resemblance to an elephant is also clear in its wrinkled, rubbery-looking skin and its long "snout" (which is functionally more like the snail's foot). Needless to say, this snail is certainly unique in appearance in several aspects!
The Triangle Sulawesi Rabbit Snail possesses a dark brown or black body. Its shell is typically brown and gold. Unlike its shell is not elongated like other Sulawesi rabbit snails. Instead, the shell is more compact and has a somewhat triangular shape when viewed head-on. This snail seems curious by nature, and each snail uses its elongated, muscular "foot" to pull and “hop” itself around on the glass and aquarium decor. This is a very striking snail and is sure to impress viewers, almost all of which will have never seen one before.
Giant Sulawesi Snails are some of the largest freshwater snails in the world, growing as large as 4 inches as adults, but the Triangle Sulawesi Rabbit Snail is less than half that size. Like other Sulawesi snails, the Triangle Sulawesi Rabbit Snail can reproduce in the aquarium, but it generally reproduces much too slowly for overpopulation to be a concern. Wild-caught adult specimens may have some shell damage, but they will readily spawn in the home aquarium. The fry will have a pristine shell and will provide years of viewing with good care!
What We Like About These Snails:
- Unique shape and compact size compared to other rabbit snails
- Interesting movement and curious nature
- Completely peaceful
- Grow to a large and impressive size
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 76° - 84° F (24.4° - 29° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 8.5
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons per snail
- Diet: Omnivorous scavenger. It can mostly subsist on leftover fish/invertebrate flakes or pellets, but its diet should be occasionally supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Sulawesi region of Indonesia
- Average adult size: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5 cm)