Topaz Cichlid (Cryptoheros myrnae), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Topaz Cichlid is a magnificent rare Central American species that is rather small for a cichlid, plus it matures to superb coloration! This cichlid is currently endangered in the wild, but we are proud to offer TANK-BRED specimens!
The Topaz Cichlid (Cryptoheros myrnae or Amatitlania myrnae) is not commonly seen in the hobby today as it is decreasing in population in the wild due to habitat destruction. Offering tank-bred specimens allows hobbyists to do their part in restoring the numbers of this beautiful cichlid. That being said, adults display a brilliant multi-coloration. This Central American native can be kept in semi-aggressive tank setups with many other species.
The Topaz Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy or soft substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It typically will not eat ornamental plants, but plants that attach to driftwood and rockwork are recommended. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish too large to be considered prey. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Topaz Cichlid, but more durable, larger invertebrates such as snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Topaz Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live plant-based and meaty foods will all be readily accepted. This species is believed to eat a great deal of plant matter in the wild. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful multi-coloration and finnage
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Very manageable size for a cichlid
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperatre: 71° - 79° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- KH: 12-20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons for a pair
- Diet: Omnivore. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live plant-based and meaty foods are necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Costa Rica
- Average adult size: 3 - 4 inches (7.6 - 10 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 inches (5 cm)